Wednesday, May 10, 2006

When a man(da) loves a woman (minus the -wo)

Okay, this is totally irrelevant, but it's a thought. And what better place for irrelevant thoughts. Anyhow, it has come to my attention that I have this weird thing for Amandas. Be it a Mandy, or just plain Amanda, I seem to always end up with one. Three times in my life have I "dated" one. Most notably, a two point five year relationship with one. Not only that, but I've turned down countless Amandas. Maybe it's this weird coincidence, or I just remember the name better. Long story short, Amandas and Nicks just seem to want to happen.

I actually know this other guy Nick, and he's dating this girl Amanda. And that's just crazy.

Back to the point. Do I just like the name? And seem to treat girls with that name better? Or does having the name Amanda predispose a girl to liking me? I'll be straight with you (no pun intended... just wait, you'll see), I'm really glad there aren't dudes named Amanda.

Now to the questions at hand. I reckon I have positive experiences with the name. I've never met one I didn't like. But, perhaps there's more to this equation. Now, most people would say, "Hey Nick, how could you date a girl with the same name as a girl you were in a long-term relationship with? Wouldn't that be weird? I mean, I think it'd be weird to date a girl with the same name as a previous girlfriend, or even the same name as my mom or sister." And while I'd appreciate your logic, I'll disagree. I know the way this world works, and how I fit into it's crazy little scheme. The mere fact that I asked these very same questions years ago is why they have resurfaced over time... in the manner of it actually happening.

Back after I ended my relationship with Amanda #1, I posed the question "Could I ever date another Amanda?" Really, the same logic. I mean, there's memories associated with that name. In addition to this, I always said I could never date an Ashley (my sister's name) or Marta (mom's name, though not worried about it since she's the only Marta I've ever met). And just because I thought it, it happened. I had a short vibe with a girl named Ashley. Realized that the name has nothing to do with the memories. I actually rarely associated one Ashley with the other. In addition to that, every Amanda in my life has been incredibly different... and none really remind me of eachother. And thus... Life answered my silly little questions. So, that's kind of boring. I wish I had better news for y'all. So now I'll make something up.

All Amandas are indeed attracted to me. It's science. In a short poll I took five minutes ago, 100% of Amandas interviewed said they couldn't get enough of me and wanted to take me out to dinner at a really expensive place, so they can buy me dinner, then take me out to Illinois for mini-golf and build a drive in theater for boats just so we could take her boat to the drive in (and not in the usual way of dragging it behind a truck). I can't argue with facts.

2 Comments:

Blogger Erica said...

I have a problem with Lindse(a)ys. I'd never met one I liked until recently. It's weird how you develop associations with certain names. My mom really wanted to name my sister Celeste, but my dad grew up on a farm and the neighboring farmer had a donkey named Celeste, whom they took for a "walk" to the post office everyday. The stubborn beast didn't like these daily walks and my dad would hear the neighbor cursing Celeste while tugging her down the street every day. When it came time to naming my sister, my dad just couldn't give her a name he associated with an ass from his past.

11:13 AM  
Blogger Jason said...

E-Rock is marrying an Amanda in a couple of weeks. You stay away from her, you rouge.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home