Monday, October 17, 2005

I heart VD

Speaking of dreams, I've always wanted to be in a band. I guess that's why I like the idea of a carney man so much: just being with a bunch of really crazy people all the time. Kinda sounds like my recent college career. Back in my yesteryear, I used to get together with friends and karaoke whatever songs we knew. I don't know if you've ever tried to remember the songs you enjoyed before 3rd grade, but it's rough. So far I've come up with Weird Al and Vanilla Ice (shocking). Anyways, I'd sing till I lost my voice. Can't really say it was there much to begin with, but I still liked doing it.

In high school, I came up with an unofficial life list. Basically consisted of things I needed to do before I die. I'll have you know that number one on the list was see all 6 of the Star Wars movies. I always said that I'd consider my life cheated if I perished before Episode III was released. If I died after Episode I, that might very well have been the greatest injustice known to modern man.

So, back to the band thing. That was on my list. I'd always sit around and come up with band names and album titles and the like. Over time, I decided that if I were to start a band, I'd call it the Ceiling. I mean, think about it. It's the highest point in a room, for one. Basically, another word for pinnacle. Basically, it's about as awesome as calling your band The Awesomest, or The Best, only not sounding as arrogant. Honestly, the kicker was that I'd start out each show by shouting out that our first song goes out to "all you Ceiling fans." There'd be a Ceiling Fan Club and all that great stuff.

I got another band name from a mixture drink I made at Quik Trip. I called it VanillaDew. Well, you can only imagine where that one went. This was actually the very beginning of what has become my Tshirt clothing empire. I thought it would be super-rad to make shirts for VanillaDew that said stuff like, "have you heard your VD today?" and "its 9pm, do you know where your VD is?" and the classic "I heart VD."

Of course, I'd probably end up in some sort of legal battle with PepsiCo over using the likeness of one of their drinks.

6 Comments:

Blogger brett.cantrell said...

Keep up the good work. Over Thanksgiving or winter break all the Star Wars in a row. We are going for it.

12:28 PM  
Blogger Jason said...

I, too, heart VD. I don't know why so many people are against it...

12:44 PM  
Blogger kieran said...

Brett, the question is:

Do you start with Episode I or Episode IV?

If you don't answer this question correctly, I will be forced to end Nick.

2:15 PM  
Blogger Captain Awesome said...

it's pretty obvious that you start with episode I and go to VI

7:40 PM  
Blogger Erica said...

Fantastic. You have a blog now. You know, I remember a tape you once made that had a whole bunch of computer-generated sounds (I think they were computer-generated). The name of the tape was something about bread or the milk aisle in the grocery store or something like that... So that's almost like a band, right?

11:38 AM  
Blogger Captain Awesome said...

oh yes... we had a techno band called BAZAYA. our album was called 'ice from the deli.' it was okay... nothing spectacular. then my first year of college, i was in a band called 'the sound and the fury.' our guitarist was awesome, drummer was okay, and our vocalist (me) was less than par. it was okay though cuz we were supposed to be heavy metal. i was just along for the ride. we had one song... called 'separation.'

1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home